Saturday, January 18, 2014

Charlie at 3

Baby Charlie is growing up too fast. He is now THREE years old! So what is Charlie like at three?

SPORTS
He loves sports, especially Georgia Tech sports. He walks around all day saying, "Let's go Tech!" He also tells me that he and Daddy go to Tech and Mommy and Holly go to Georgia. He knows I like red and he always tells me, "You like red because it's Georgia. I like yellow because it's Georgia Tech." He really enjoyed football games and tailgating this year. There was one game (that I thankfully did not attend) where it rained the. entire. time. Charlie sat, in the rain, for over three hours...and loved it. He cheers so much that it sometimes annoys the people around us. He also loves going to the Georgia Tech basketball games. He likes to play pretend at home that we are going to a game. He tells me about the lady who takes his ticket, the game, and eating his ice cream that Poppy always buys him at half time. He tells me about how they play defense and go from one basket to the other basket. After he broke his collarbone, he was so sad when he realized he couldn't play basketball for a while.

Here is a video of Charlie playing basketball at home.


MUSIC
In addition to loving sports, Charlie loves music right now. The first song he ever recognized on the radio and loved is Katy Perry's "Roar", as shown in this video. He loves listening to the radio in the car and will often ask me to turn the volume up. Whenever I tell him that it's too loud, he says, "I like it too loud!"

There is a show on Nick, Jr. called, "The Fresh Beat Band." It's about a group of "kids" (they are probably in their early 20s) in music school. They sing and dance and play instruments. It's kind of like "Glee" for preschoolers. Their songs are actually really catchy and I get them stuck in my head all day. We listen to their music in the car and he watches the show each morning while drinking his milk. I was looking for more of their songs online, when I saw that they are touring and will be coming to Atlanta on January 23rd. I wasn't sure if Charlie was ready for a concert, but I found a great deal on tickets and decided to try it. He is very excited (and so am I!) about our Mommy/Charlie concert date!

Here's a clip of one of their songs:


FUNNY and LOVING
So far, three has been a really fun age. Charlie says and does hilarious things all the time. He mimics us a lot, like sighing when he is frustrated or disappointed with us. He is still incredibly sweet and loving. Now that he is in a full sized bed, Kyle or I will lay down with him for a few minutes at bed time. He always puts his arm on us and rubs our shoulder. It's so cute.

BIG BROTHER
Charlie has also been doing really well as a big brother. We still have to tell him to be gentle, and he does get annoyed with Holly and knock her over. But on the whole, he is a great big brother. He loves playing with Holly and always wants to know where she is.

EATING
Charlie is probably a pretty typical 3 year old eater. He is fairly picky and doesn't like too many fruits or vegetables. He will often have a few bites in order to have dessert, but sometimes it's just not worth it for him and he is willing to skip dessert so he doesn't have to eat anything he doesn't want to eat.

POTTY TRAINING
Ugh. Potty training. We're just not there. I had planned to try round 2 of potty training right after Christmas, but then Charlie had a broken collarbone, so we decided to forget it. He can hold it and run around with no diaper. When he has to go, he tells me that he needs a diaper. I have been able to get him to pee in the potty 3-4 times, but it's usually a long battle. The doctor told us that we really should just wait until he shows interest. Of course, I'm worried that will never happen. He has to be potty trained before school next year. So worst case scenario, we'll do it this summer.

CHECK-UP
Charlie did a great job at his 3 year check-up. He measured 36" (14%) and 31 pounds (29%). Since we didn't get a very good height measurement at 2 years, they aren't sure how much he has grown, but his weight has stayed on track, so they aren't worried. I feel bad for him because he is one of the shortest boys in his class (maybe the shortest?), but he is too young to notice or care at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment