Tuesday, June 28, 2011

6 Months

This past Thursday was Charlie's half-birthday! Since he was born just 2 days before Christmas, we're going to make an effort to celebrate his half-birthday somehow when he gets a little older and understands what's going on. This year it was just a normal day of eat, play, sleep...just what Charlie likes. Here are some notes on our 6-month-old boy.

  • 6 month stats: 
    • Length - 26.5" (50%)
    • Weight - 15 lb 9 oz (15%)
  • He shot up in height but dropped a lot in weight. According to the Doctor this drop is not uncommon, especially for boys, at 6 months. I told her that Charlie loves solid food but I wasn't giving him as much because of what the nurse told me when I called a few weeks ago. (See the 5 1/2 month update). She said that actually it's time to give him as much solid food as he wants, working up to 3 meals a day in addition to breastfeeding. Charlie will be very excited about this! He has really gotten into eating and he leans forward toward the spoon before I can get it to his mouth.
  • When we got back from vacation, I decided it was time for Charlie to sleep through the night. So when he wakes up in the middle of the night, we let him fuss until he falls back asleep. A few times I have gone in, changed his diaper and put him back down, but no feeding, no holding, no rocking. He goes to bed around 8:00 and I don't feed him until at least 6:00 a.m. He's usually up between 6:00 and 7:00. If it's close to 6:00 he goes back down for another hour or so, and I don't let him sleep past 7:30.
  • Charlie can sit up unassisted now.
  • He's still working very hard on crawling. He can curl his knees up under him and rock back and forth. But he can't figure out what to do with his arms.
  • Charlie is still primarily nursing, but he takes one formula bottle a day. He got so comfortable nursing that he wouldn't take formula at all and that made it very difficult for anyone other than me to take care of him. So we worked on doing one bottle in the afternoon and he has finally accepted it again. I think I'll continue to nurse for a while but I'm very excited to have met my 6 month goal. It was touch-and-go there for a while!
Here are some recent photos and video.


Happy to be outside:

Eating the table at dinner:

Fun time with Daddy (and Jackie):

Sitting Up:


Playing with Cody:

Trying to Crawl:


Here's a video from the pool at Amelia Island:

No comments:

Post a Comment