Wednesday, December 1, 2010

35 Week Appointment

This morning my Mom & I went to my 35 week appointment. Everything with Charlie looks great. The ultrasound showed that he is measuring about 5-1/2 to 6 pounds (with a 15% margin of error), which is exactly where he should be at this point.

Charlie's Mommy, on the other hand, is not doing quite as well. Those pregnancy hormones just really got to me today and I was so emotional throughout the appointment. The first blow came when I found out that I gained 8 pounds in the past 2.5 weeks. It was so upsetting to me because I'm eating less and less every day. When the doctor walked in to the room I just started crying. He took one look at my ankles and said that he would attribute much of that weight to water so he's not too worried about it. He said (as I'm wiping tears from my cheeks) that although my "profile was more pleasing before pregnancy, this is not unusual." That just made me laugh...such a kind way of saying, "yes you're huge but it's okay." :)

Because I have an auto-immune disease, there is slight risk at this stage in the pregnancy that the placenta may not be functioning as well as it should. Just to be safe, they scheduled me to have non-stress tests every Monday morning to monitor Charlie. If the tests showed Charlie in any kind of distress, we're far enough along now that they would go ahead and deliver him.

We also discussed our options between a c-section and a vaginal birth and that sent me into my second crying fit. I'm getting very anxious about Charlie being healthy and making it safely into the world. After everything we've been through, I'm terrified that something will go wrong between now and then or during the birth. Kyle & I decided to go with a planned c-section. I don't know the date yet but it will either be right before or right after Christmas. I requested the 22nd or 23rd.

In addition to the non-stress tests, I'll be seeing the doctor once a week from now on. My next appointment is Thursday, December 9th. As soon as I hear back about the c-section date, I'll update everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment