Sunday, September 25, 2016

Adjusting to Kindergarten


We are still adjusting to the routine of Kindergarten. Charlie still says he doesn't want to go to school, but it is more typical whining about school like, "school is boring, why do I have to go?" than the fear he had at the beginning. The hardest part has been the way it has affected his behavior in the afternoons and evenings. For a while there, he was AWFUL. He would end up in time out or in his room every afternoon. I hated having to punish him so much when I knew he was just so tired. It has improved some, but he definitely has a shorter fuse when things don't go his way. Lately I hear a lot of "I don't like you!" 

In addition to dealing with his attitude, we are also getting used to doing homework. Each night we practice sight words and read a book that the teacher has sent home. 


Sometimes there is additional work also, like counting to 100, or the worksheet below that he had to fill out. As you can see, he got frustrated, scribbled all over the paper, then crumpled it up and threw it across the room. That was a particularly challenging evening.


It's an adjustment for all of us, but we are getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment