Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Codybear

As most of you know, we recently made the difficult and heartbreaking decision to find another home for our Cody-bear. Since Charlie joined our family, Jackie has been nothing but sweet, affectionate, and amazingly tolerant of him. Cody has had more trouble adjusting. He was often very sweet with Charlie, but there were a few times when he acted aggressive towards him. Cody had snapped at Charlie a few times and just a few weeks ago, he snapped at his back and nipped him. I was sitting right there when it happened and I didn't see Charlie do anything to provoke it. It was too much for me and I knew we had to make a change. I can't always control Charlie's behavior and Cody was starting to act more and more annoyed with him. It's so hard because either way, I feel like a bad Mom, either a bad doggy Mom or a bad Mom towards Charlie and Holly for not protecting them. But obviously Charlie and Holly come first, so we knew what we had to do. 

We were very lucky to find the Sheltie Rescue of Georgia organization. They are a volunteer group that will foster Cody in a home, while finding a new home for him. This morning I took Cody to his new foster Mommy. She is a wonderful woman who was so nice (and not at all judgmental) towards us. I know that Cody will be well-loved and will get the attention he needs. It is very difficult though because when you surrender a dog to them, it is like a closed adoption. They will not tell me where he goes and how he's doing. I understand that and it is probably for the best. But needless to say, today was very hard for me. 

Cody has been my buddy for ten years, since he was an eight-week-old puppy. I will always remember him as "my" first dog, especially the way he barked at the TV and remembered which commercials had animals in them; or how he hated sleeping in bed with me when it was hot; or how when going for a hike, he never needed his leash and he would stop and look back, to make sure you were catching up; or how silly he looked after his summertime shave. He's a great dog and I hope he finds the love and "pettings" that he deserves.



















No comments:

Post a Comment